A few redhat pics

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Sun Nov 17 18:43:52 PST 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:51:25PM -0800, Mark H. Linford wrote:
> In Eric's Defense, yes, he does have a Windows box, but it's for show
> only. This way, we can convince our boss that, yes, we do have Windows
> machines. However, rest assured that no actual work in done on them. If
> we did have to do actual work on the windows boxes then, well, we
> wouldn't get any work done ... :)

Yes, yes, I have to admit it: at work I use whatever OS is appropriate for
the particular task.

So, given my boss and the nature of the work I do, at my desk I have 2
computers and 2 monitors.  1 newer Dell (GX240?) and 1 older Dell (GX110?).
The two monitors (1 21" and 1 19") are both hooked up to the new Dell that
runs Linux; the larger monitor is *also* hooked up to the old Windows Dell.

99% of the time I'm using Linux with both monitors. I think I got 10 minutes
of "actual work" done in Windows at work over the past couple of weeks...
Hard to do anything to Exchange user accounts without Windows and hard to
email Exchange's internal distribution lists without Windows,
unfortunately...  Also, the Windows box is pretty good at holding my Linux
box at just the right height next to my desk; CD-R/DVD drive (on the Linux
box) is just above desk height.

Heck, at home usually I'm in Linux and sometimes I'm in MacOSX.  *gasp*
MacOnLinux is pretty cool, though.  "apt-get install mol".

I'm not an operating system bigot, it's just that Linux is the best for most
things I do and a pretty darned good choice for most things a lot of people
do.
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^               IRC: Freiheit at freenode
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244