IRC

Eric Eisenhart ee at eric.eisenhart.name
Tue Nov 26 11:25:51 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:12:04AM -0800, troy wrote:
> I hate asking newb questions, but can someone tell me the quick-n-dirty
> way to join the conversation in #nblug, with GAIM?
>
> I logged on for a bit with the command-line irc client, but would prefer
> GAIMing it.
>
> I haven't used IRC in *years*

One time:
gaim
Tools / Plugins
Load
libirc.so
OK
Close
Tools / Accounts
Add
Protocol: IRC
Screenname: troydude
Server: irc.nblug.org (the default is irc.openprojects.net for me, same thing)
Auto-login [X] (optional)
OK
click the one you just did, then click "sign on".

After a little waiting, if your nick isn't taken, you'll be online, but it
won't mean much.

You need to add a few things to your Contact list / "Buddies" for your newly
created IRC personality.

In particular, you want to add "NickServ" and "ChanServ"; if you use groups
in gaim, under your "unimportant" or whatever group.  Maybe also add
"freiheit", "falsch", "augie", "fandanta", "augie", and/or "fandanta".

One time only double-click on NickServ and send "register <password>" where
"<password>" is a password you don't care about (this is cleartext,
afterall) but won't forget.  This reserves your nick (screenname) for you.

Every other time, NickServ will bug you and you'll respond with "identify
<password>".

Then after either one, in any window that has "send message as troydude
(IRC)"; type "/join #nblug".

I've never bothered figuring out how to automate the identify thing or
joining channels, but I'm sure it can be done somehow...
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life