ms word vs html ?

Nancy Harrison vulpia at sonic.net
Tue Oct 1 09:06:54 PDT 2002

>On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 08:17:59PM -0700, augie wrote:
>> i am trying to convice one of my profesors that we should not use both
>> ms word and html to document a project, and in fact we should not use
>> ms word at all.
>
>Word is not a portable format.  You'll also run into problems if you use a
>font that's not present on the computer it's being sent to, or even if
>there's simply different printer settings or different margin settings.
>Sometimes even if the printer settings and margins appear the same but
>there's a slightly different version of the printer driver.
>--
>Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
>Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^           IRC: Freiheit at openprojects
>Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit

Thank you for this discussion! I am so tired of being sent Word
documents that are meant to be put on a web page, which render as garbage
on my Macs. I have never had Word, and never will! It is really hard for
people to understand the difference between processed words and plain
text - a battle that I have to fight all the time.
  Then, of course, when I complain, they send text back to me not plain,
but rtf! -NHarrison (yes, I'm still here!)

-Nancy Harrison
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/index.html
Milo Baker Chapter California Native Plant Society
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/cnps/mbaker.html