mirroring update

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Thu Oct 3 09:05:12 PDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 06:12:04PM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:09:17PM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> }
> } Yes, it appears that discs 1, 2, and 3 hold RPMS, disc 1 holds critical
> } install bits (floppy images, utilities for repartitioning, the actual
> } install stuff, etc.) and that 3, 4 and 5 hold SRPMS.  (4 and 5 consisting
> } only of SRPMS)
>
> If we are worried about space then I'd ditch the Redhat SRPMS.  Half of
> them are so screwed up as to be unusable, and people only need the
> occasional SRPM anyway.

Yeah; they're typically a prime candidate for deletion; we're doing okay at
the moment, but I'm pretty sure I should be adding some Mandrake ISOs in
there someplace...

> That's what I do on my server at work.  I had to create the TRANS.TBL

I'm pretty sure you can safely ignore the TRANS.TBL.  TRANS.TBL is an
ISO9660 thing for when Rock Ridge and Joliet aren't present; it contains
mappings from the official non-extended ISO9660 filenames (8.3;V) to
long names; also has a method to enable devices and symlinks to be there.
Rock Ridge or even Joliet are better, but TRANS.TBL still works a few places
those don't and you can always have all 3 to be extra sure.

> Eric:  Thanks for the help on the Redhat apt stuff.  I made the dummy
> rpms and it is mostly all working.  7.2 and 7.3 are working great.  6.2
> still wants to install sendmail and apache when I do a dist-upgrade, but
> the upgrade caught most of the stuff so I left it at that.

I really need to do some major cleanup on the apt parts of our mirroring (or
explain what's there and pass the job on):
the structure is messy; the webpage that's there is irrelevant instead of
doing something useful like telling people exactly how to use it for each
distro; we really need to mirror the apt-rpm software itself, too; we should
set up an apt-rpm repository for each and every organized collection of RPMS
we have (8.0 needs one set up now, updates, Mandrake needs a few, Ximian
should have had one while we had it, etc.); the organization, even if by
symlinks, should include non-RPM apt repositories (Debian, IOW) all under
"/apt/" or maybe a virtualhost just for apt; right now there's a couple
scripts that update all the apt-rpm repositories every time any one of them
gets mirrored -- it should really be broken out into a setup that only
updates the apt stuff for the one directory that just got changed.

> but reduced traffic on the nblug server and the corperate socks server
> will be noticed with another dozen upgrades.

Or, more to the point, not noticed.  :)
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^           IRC: Freiheit at openprojects
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244