What's this?

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Thu Oct 17 21:07:39 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 08:48:03AM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> I'd guess that one of two possibilities occurred: (1) softhome.net removed
> the contents of /var/qmail/queue/mess but left the rest intact (just enough
> to get the message to you; not enough to get you the contents) or (2)
> softhome.net had to restore /var/qmail/queue from backup and didn't do it
> right (qmail is, unfortunately, *VERY* finicky about the queue being backed
> up; inode #s need to be preserved, which basically means you can't back it
> up meaningfully).  It's also possible that something else weird went on...

Which roughly translates to: If you have a mail server and you care
about your mail, put the queue on a RAID filesystem that features
redundency.  Use your tape space for the stuff you might accidentally
delete.

Brad Cox		brad at linuxbofh.com
Key fingerprint = E741 589E 4A43 DA89 C5AA  B9A3 7E44 18BB C16B F62D
BOFH excuse #48:

bad ether in the cables