Best Mail Reader

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Wed Oct 23 11:54:50 PDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:30:32AM -0500, Warren Raquel wrote:
> Just wondering what everyone's favorite mail programs were (on Linux of
> course). I'm looking for a good one that handles multiple accounts very
> well and handles PGP encrypted mail easily. Mentions of both GUI and
> console programs are fine, GUI pref. While we're on the subject, news
> readers as well, once again GUI or console. Thanks.

What I use:
 Email:
  mutt (local mailboxes)
  mutt doing IMAP (very cool)
  Evolution (all IMAP)
 News:
  trn4

Mutt and Evolution both do GPG encrypted email using the standard (multipart
MIME stuff).  Mutt is more configurable, but non-graphical; Evolution is
certainly easier to use and has some features mutt doesn't, but can't be
configured to automate quite as much.   (when comparing, compare Evolution
to mutt+procmail, not Evolution to straight mutt)

trn4 handles multiple news servers (.trn/access has to be set up), does
attachments, does real threading, can handle MIME, can be set up to
automatically GPG or PGP sign your posts, and can probably even be
configured to clean the kitchen sink.

There's just two problems with trn4: (1) it's a bit hard to configure and has
a teensy bit more of a learning curve than tin (though the recent versions
seem to have help all over the place) and (2) the author(s) can't seem to
get around to creating an actual *release* of trn4; it's been "trn 4-testXX"
for years now.  Debian has a "trn4" package though.
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^               IRC: Freiheit at freenode
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244