[NBLUG/talk] Dual-Booting/XP repartition

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Mon Apr 7 23:06:02 PDT 2003

Kyle Rankin wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:38:50PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>Does anyone know of a 'simple' way to repartition the drive without:
>>- buying PartitionMagic
>>- Reinstalling XP
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm assuming that XP is installed with ntfs, which will make most open source
> solutions for partition resizing (like fips) not work (at least AFAIK).  Off the
> top of my head, I suppose you could get one of those $8 laptop IDE adapters, and
> hook up the hard drive to a spare machine, backup XP (there are various ways to
> do this), repartition, and restore (the method for this will correspond with
> whatever method you used for backing up the XP partition) XP (with something
> like ghost this would be easier but I'm assuming we are searching for a free
> alternative here).
>
> On my laptop I was able to use the included "DISE" program (Fujitsu has one of
> those OEM deals where they don't ship a full XP install disc, they rely on a
> disk image they store on another partition) to resize my partitions for Linux.
> Does your laptop come with any similar tool preloaded?

I don't think there is anything like that on my machine (which FYI is a
desktop, not a laptop, if that helps).  The Windows help pages make it
sound like I should just be able to right-click on the C: drive and
start some sort of wizard (from a window in the control panel), but I've
had no luck.

I'm poking around at the Linux Documentation Project (http://tldp.org)
and scanned an article on using a virtual machine.  My take on it is
that I could run Linux from within a windows partition. I found some
sourceforge projects, also, that are linux distros that run in/on
windows.  I even tried that Knoppix disk you gave me, Kyle, but it
wouldn't boot from the CD (I have to reconfigure the boot order, I
guess).  But these ideas seem more like half-measures.

In the mean time, it's back to google.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at arczip.com