[NBLUG/talk] DSL provider recommendations?

Bob Blick bobblick at covad.net
Tue Apr 22 08:49:00 PDT 2003

E Frank Ball said:

> A friend had Covad DSL and had nothing but trouble with it.

That must not have been me, then! Covad has been working fine, they have a
much better user agreement than SBC/Yahoo/PacBell, and they are dirt
cheap.

My IP address, although not static, only changes if I unplug. PPPOE isn't
a problem, but if you don't like it, don't use their modem. I use an
efficient speedstream 5660($50 on eBay) and it handles the PPPOE, NAT, and
firewall quite transparently. One thing Covad forgets to tell you is that
the PPPOE login name includes the domain name, so instead of "username"
like you'd expect, it's "username at covad.net". Other than that it was plug
and play, and has not gone down once in 6 months.

I love Sonic, but really there's nothing _wrong_ with Covad and it's less
money.

Cheerful regards,

Bob