[NBLUG/talk] What controls the "prompt"?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Aug 4 09:11:01 PDT 2003

Try this:
Start the terminal that does not display anything.
Paste in this text:

touch /tmp/test123.txt

Then go to a terminal that does display text.
See if the file /tmp/test123.xt exists.

If it does, then I would inspect the number of BPP you have selected for
your card (8bpp?) and see if the window manager/env manager has just used
up all of you colors. Parhaps KDE does not use as many colors as Gnome.

If you have an XFree86.log (check /var/log) please send that.

-ME