[NBLUG/talk] What controls the "prompt"?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Aug 4 12:19:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:07:14PM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> Another piece of information is the keystrokes are being processed by
> the system in that the blink of the cursor stops if I press some keys
> and after a second or so, resumes blinking.

So, what exactly is showing up in the terminal window?  Does the cursor move
when you press some keys?  Do the keys you press show up on the screen?  If
either the cursor or keys do show up, where exactly do they show up?  What
happens if you hold down control and hit C?  What happens if you hold down
control and hit D?

The normal behavior is for the cursor to not blink while typing and then
resuming blinking about a second after you stop typing.  The cursor may also
switch to an outline (instead of solid) mode when you switch focus to a
different window.

Please do try to describe accurately what shows up, since this description
directly contradicts your description of the cursor behavior, and those two
different behaviors you described would indicate different types of
problems.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore