[NBLUG/talk] ATTN: Todd Carry: Talked to the Computer Recycling Center

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Aug 13 16:58:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:49:38PM -0700, augie wrote:
> Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > And if this doesn't work, maybe we can start our own Computer
> > Recycling Center.
>
> i think the hardest part about that would be finding someone to store
> all the old pc's, and someone to run or be in charge of it all.

Also, if you end up with a bunch of old monitors that can't be used, those
cost money to get rid of.

I'd much rather see some sort of cooperative venture with CRC.  Maybe
interested NBLUG volunteers helping them out, particularly with getting
Linux onto machines, etc...

I think we're too disorganized to really pull off doing a CRC-type operation
on our own.  Probably need to do the tax stuff to be a 501(c)(3)(?) official
non-profit and whatnot, too.  There's a lot of logistics to an operation
like that...

CRC is volunteer staffed, right?  Anybody who's got some free time
interested in helping them out?  Probably best if you know Linux well enough
to do installs on old hardware and if you're not allergic to helping out
with Windows stuff, too.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore