[NBLUG/talk] Computer Recycling

Justin Thiessen thiessen at sonic.net
Thu Aug 14 16:22:00 PDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Cal Herrmann wrote:

> Another perhaps possible thing-to-do would be to create a site-folder where
> individuals could list such machines as available donations to non-profits.
> Don't know if anyone would actually read the listings!
> Cal

This reminds me of freeboxen.com (now long defunct).

If we really wanted this to be a sort of linux promotional effort, then I
suspect that prepackaged setups would be the way to go.  Most non-profits
do not (AFAIK) have highly experienced computer people with lots of free
time on their staff.  If setting up donated equipment is going to require
more than dropping in a CD and going through some fairly friendly menus,
they're not going to bother.  Admittedly, install scripts have come a long
ways since I started mucking around with linux (although my personal fave
distro (slack) hasn't changed much in that regard), but it would probably
be easiest to generate interest if systems came with linux preinstalled
and configured for a given set of duties, say:

- desktops  (Read email, handle stuff like openoffice, surf the web, etc.)
- routers/firewalls/print servers
- file servers

which divide up fairly nicely into hardware ranges:

routers/firewalls/print servers -> desktops -> file servers

low end ---------------------------------------- high end

One advantage this would have is it provides a potential niche for all
those slow, old 486s/low-end pentiums which few people will tolerate for
general desktop use, but which make perfectly acceptable
routers/firewalls/print servers.

OTOH, I'm not sure the average non-profit even has a need for anything
beyond a few suitably-configured desktops.  Thoughts?

In any case, based on their website, I'm pretty sure that CRC will donate
free systems to non-profits, so this is another area of potential
cooperation.

If, however, we just want this to be a way to shuffle old hardware around
to those who might potentially use it, (Which may just end up being a game
of musical garages) then a web-based swap page/list might be enough.  I
really suspect that this'll just result in cruft magnets like me building
up a herd of cantankerous old boxen because we hate to see stuff thrown
away.

Justin Thiessen
thiessen at sonic.net