[NBLUG/talk] Wildcard Asterisk GnoPhone

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 09:13:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:46:15AM -0700, error wrote:
> > I have use gnophone and kphone and a few other softphones with my asterisk
> > server no problem.... not the best quality though.
>
> I got gnophone to work (still really buggy), cvs is broken right now
> though, so use testing...
>
> What other softphones do you use?
> What hardware phones do you use?

BTW, we looked at deploying Asterisk for our voicemail -- but the guy with
the most Asterisk experience in operations intimated that Asterisk "isn't
quite ready for prime-time".

Seems it works fine for SIP stuff, but when you add line cards into the mix
(or at least, his particular type of line card), Asterisk can get into
strange states, requiring a restart.  However, he says the frequency of the
problem is "every couple of weeks or so", so a nightly restart may prevent
the problem.

And nevertheless, he uses Asterisk in his dorm room at UCSB for voice mail
and call routing.  (I.e., people SIP'ping in may be forwarded to his cell
phone or desk phone, depending on where he is.) It seems quite flexible and
handy.

I'm interested in folks' comments about the stability of Asterisk.  How does
it work for you?

 -Scott