[NBLUG/talk] cellular modem in linux (not cell phone!)

error error at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 10:43:01 PDT 2003

Hey all,

In a horrific example of trying-really-hard-not-sleep, I just pulled out
my pile of DefCon hardware pile.

I got a modem at DefCon this year and it's a little different than other
modems. It doesn't have a phone jack, it's a CDPD modem/Wireline/Circuit
Switched Cellular (data fax only mode).

I believe that I am going to need to plug a modem into it at somepoint
unless I can use some app in linux to send over the wire.

The main reason I want this is to listen on the freq that these modems
function on. CDPD traffic might be an interesting accademic exercise in
ethereal.

`cardctl info 1` returns:
PRODID_1="COMPAQ"
PRODID_2="SpeedPAQ Cellular PC Card"
PRODID_3="1-0"
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0138,0000
FUNCID=254

It's a Compaq SpeedPAQ 336, PCMCIA style.
Any ideas?
--
error <error at sonic.net>