[NBLUG/talk] Multiple Server Setup Advice

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Aug 19 10:15:01 PDT 2003

     I've currently got a Pentium 166 with 128megs as a server running
apache, serving as a router, serving files with samba, doing minor
mail services, ssh, and runing mySQL. Recently I got some more
hardware and was thinking about spreading the services a little. I've
got another P-166 and a Pentium Pro 200. However I'm tempted to use
the PP200 for a user machine and regulate the current user machine, a
P150 to server use. The question there is would a PP200 make a better
user-98 box or a better server?

     My main question is how should I split things up to improve flow. The
network is 10bT. I'm kinda thinking I should put the router on the
low end box and have it handle routing and ssh. Then use the higher
end box for the webserver (or mySQL server). Then combine the samba
and mySQL on one midrange server. Or I could build a P100 for the
router/ssh and just split it webserver/fileserver/database server?

     I'm getting about a hundred hits per day on the webserver, double
that if you count search engine robots. The file server only supports
at most two users at a time. The database server would have a similar
usage from users, but would support the webserver as well. I just
feel like its getting to be a lot for a poor little 166 to do and I
think it might improve security to split things up.

      With at most two or three users surfing arround, how much power is
needed for the router? I almost think I should just buy one. I'm
using firestarter for routing/NAT/firewall services.

                                         Walter Hansen
                                         aka Gandalf Retlaw

ps Go ahead and snicker at my crappy hardware.