[NBLUG/talk] Printer kicking out blank pages

Murry Shohat murry at sonic.net
Thu Aug 21 19:58:00 PDT 2003

If you are in Santa Rosa I volunteer to run your print job on my HPLJ4M+
in black/white from the PDF. Just buy me a ream of paper and a beer. Or
I can run it on an HP R80 in color for an ink cartridge and a ream of
paper. You can send the file and pick up the print job an hour or two
later.

Maybe you want to have someone else try to print out a few pages to see
if it's a file problem. PDF is all too frequently a strange beast.

murry at sonic.net
======================

Robert Hayes wrote:

>I'm just about to lose what little mind I have left.
>I don't print much, I never have, but recently I acquired a nice (used) Epson
>Stylus Color 1520. It's a lovely wide carriage dual cartridge inkjet.
>
>I'm running Debian 2.4 kernel from a Knoppix 3.2 install, and the printer is
>being driven by CUPS.
>
>When I print anything (particularly from either Acrobat Reader, or PS/PDF
>Viewer) the printer kicks out several blank sheets before it starts the job,
>or in the present case, prints several pages, then kicks out several blanks.
>
>Blank pages are no big deal in and of themselves, but every time it kicks out
>a blank page, it switches to pause mode and the out of paper light blinks,
>and I have to reach ALL THE WAY OVER and tap the button.
>
>See why I'm so cranky all the time?
>
>Anyway, I find myself needing to print out a 400+ page document to take away
>with me, and this contraption is kicking out 5 or 6 blank pages for every 3
>it prints.
>
>Anybody have any suggestions? Please?
>
>Thank you!
>
>Bob

>.

Murry Shohat    Executive Director
Embedded Linux Consortium
3760 Cross Creek Road, Santa Rosa, CA 95403
http://www.embedded-linux.org
e-mail:  murry at sonic.net
Voice: 707.576.0111       FAX: 707.576.1944