[NBLUG/talk] monitor resolution question

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sat Aug 23 08:52:00 PDT 2003

Red Hat 7.2 may be slightly different, I don't have any 7.2 boxes around
anymore.

Just to add a little more information about where this is configured.  Check
out /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  The "Screen" section, usually found towards
the end of the file determines the resolution(s) for your graphical
environment.  Note the "SubSection" - "Display" - these are the resolutions
that my gui can operate at.  The Depth is the color depth.  If you only want
your screen to operate at a specific resolution you can eliminate the Modes
you don't want.  Say for instance I wanted my system to only run at
1280x1024, I could delete all the other resolutions and leave the 1280x1024.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection