[NBLUG/talk] FTP, directories,ownership, permissions

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Fri Aug 29 05:34:00 PDT 2003

I have a directory structure on my server that is giving me a problem -
probably because I did not seek some advice BEFORE setting it up.

Here is a brief outline of what I have and I would appreciate any
comments on mistakes I may have had made, AFTER the fact:

/home is owned by root and is part of the root group.  Permissions are
"rwxr-xr-x" (I am going to have to learn octal :-) ).

All user directories are owned by the user and are part of group "adm".
The permissions are "rwxrwxr-x".

"httpd" is one of the users and this is the base or root directory for
http.  All directories under "httpd" are owned by "todd" and are part of
the "adm" group.  The permissions are "rwxrwxr-x".

FTP question:

I have a user "darren".  He can FTP into his directory and any
directories under his directory - as expected.  There is an application
under "httpd" called "newsearch" (as stated above, owned by "todd" and
is part of the "adm" group).  I would like to give "darren" the ability
to FTP into that directory.

have I created a monster, or can it be fixed?

[Note: I use Samba and the owner of files created on the Linux box when
"todd" is logged onto the Win 2000 is "todd" and are members of the
"adm" group].

Todd