[NBLUG/talk] More apt-get problems

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 2 22:24:00 PST 2003

It seems that I can work around the problem with Evolution by removing
it prior to any other install or remove action, and re-installing it
when I'm done.  However, I'm now running into other problems.

It seems that, despite having dist-upgraded from stable (Woody) to
unstable (Sid?), I cannot install KDE or any of its components.  When I
try to do so, I get the following error:

# apt-get install kde-core
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  kde-core: Depends: arts but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kdelibs but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: kdebase but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Tthere is no reason given for why apt will not install these
dependencies.  And yet I've seen it gracefully handle dependencies
before on several occasions.

What reason could apt have for not handling these dependencies as it
usually does?  And how can I resolve the situation?

I tried listing all of the dependencies it gave on the command line, but
it then proceeded to list a few dozen more dependencies that would not
be installed.  And I have no desire to keep typing in more and more
dependencies unless I have to.