[NBLUG/talk] More apt-get problems

Liz Young liz at sonic.net
Wed Dec 3 12:41:01 PST 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 11:20 am, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I see.  It looks like unstable (Sid) and testing (Sarge) somehow use
> a mix of KDE versions 3.1.3 and 3.1.4, which I suppose could be
> causing problems.  Therefore, unless I want to go to a lot of extra
> effort, I'll probably have to wait until they get all of the KDE
> 3.1.4 packages sorted out and in the repository.  At least it seems I
> can get everything I need from a desktop environment (so far) out of
> GNOME.  And I have other problems to figure out at the moment.

When you have more time, if you follow the advice on the page to
download the one or two packages manually and install them with dpkg,
after that you can apt-get the rest from the Debian Unstable archives.
The mix of 3.1.3. and 3.1.4 doesn't matter.

I have KDE on all kinds of Debian installs (Sarge/Sid), and can't recall
it ever being so horribly broken that it was unusable.

> It still seems odd when I consider that I had no difficulty obtaining
> and installing all of the KDE 3.1.4 packages in RPM form while I was
> using RedHat 9.

RedHat's support for KDE blows.

It is frustrating sometimes when the KDE i386 builds are finished, and
get held up because something won't build on Sparc or Arm... that's
Debian -- it has to build and install on all arch's..  Sarge will ship
with 3.1.4, and by then 3.2 will be released, and so it goes.

Liz
apt-spoiled