[NBLUG/talk] CD/DVD question

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Dec 6 14:32:00 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:52:57AM -0800, Jeremy Turner wrote:

> As far as DVD writing, I've looked into this a little.  I have access to
> a Sony DRX-510 (I think that's the model) external (USB2/FireWire) DVD
> writer and how it could work under Linux.  I don't really care at this
> point about UDF or packet-writing (being able to use a DVD-/+RW like a
> hard drive), but only a mkisofs and a cdrecord.  The filesystem
> generates just fine from mkisofs, but the cdrecord author did not
> release the source for a cdrecord.dvd.  I believe it's free as in beer,
> but not freedom.

That is correct.  I've burned a whopping ONE disc (4.5GB's worth of data)
using mkisofs followed by cdrecord-ProDVD (the DVD software you mentioned).
I have an inernal Sony DRU-510A DVD+-RW.

Seemed to work!  Ironically, I still haven't set up the system (Debian/Woody)
with the DVD burner to be able to READ DVDs.  (Data or movies (via Mplayer))

However, my wife's laptop (also Debian/Woody) has a DVD-ROM drive, and has
used it to play DVD movies (via MPlayer).

I able to successfully mount and suck files off the drive.
Worked like a charm!

FWIW...

-bill!