[NBLUG/talk] Updating Fedora

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sun Dec 7 08:59:01 PST 2003

If you installed the whole enchilada then they are all candidates for update.
This is one of the drawbacks of installing everything.  I don't do all my
updates manually, I use the yum tool to do the work.

man yum

Then run

yum update

You can have yum run as a nightly cron job and automatically update any
packages it finds and E-mail you the results by running;

chkconfig yum on

On Sunday 07 December 2003 07:43, Todd Cary wrote:
> With my prior experiences with RedHat, I enjoyed the ability to click on
> the icon and have up2date do it's job.  Equally impressed, I found that
> Fedora offers the same service.  However, Mark and others have indicated
> that they manually do the update - an area in which I have no
> experience.  When I did a dump of all of the packages that up2date will
> update, it is quite extensive.
>
> I know that the Kernel needs to be updated because of the problem with a
> buffer over run, but which of these packages HAVE to be updated?  How
> does one know?
>
>  epic-1.0.1-16.i386.rpm
>  ethereal-0.9.16-2.FC1.1.i386.rpm
>  ethereal-gnome-0.9.16-2.FC1.1..>