[NBLUG/talk] Red Hat Install issues

Steve Smith sjs at sonic.net
Tue Dec 9 12:41:02 PST 2003

Dell has always been easy and at one time IBM actually
supported Linux on it's laptops.  My HP went fine this time
and I know of guys in the group with fujitsu notebooks that
have great machines.  Also, ACER is supposed to be a good
machine.

But I've never had a smooth install on a Sony laptop and I
have two.  One I finally had Emperor linux install -- and am
not using any more because it's a nightmare to upgrade and
needed kernel mods for the install to work.  The other works
(a PGC6230 I think) but has other problems.  The second
machine needed a special XF86Config file and I never did get
the firewire working on.

I think that in general, the older your laptop, the better
your chances of an easy install.  And there are all kinds of
resources on the net to help with laptop installs.

Steve S.