[NBLUG/talk] Web Hosting/Name Registry - Query

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Fri Dec 12 11:04:01 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 16:12, Mark Street wrote:
> Time to put the feelers out again and ask the semi annual web hosting
> quesiton.
>
> A client wants to register a domain and have it hosted.  Basic site, no
> cgi or database stuff.  Basic Basic Basic.
>
> GoDaddy.com seems like a deal.

I like dreamhost.com.  They're out of SoCal.  My plan (the cheap one) is
$10/month and I paid up-front for a year to get no setup fee.  That
included a registered domain _in my name_.

They have this habit of increasing the specs of the plan.  When I bought
the package, it only included 150 MB of space for email/web/mysql/etc.
Now, I get upto 500 MB.  I didn't do anything, didn't ask, didn't pay
extra.  They've got an elaborate knowledge base
[https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/ ] that'll answer just about any
question you have regarding their service.  And their customer service
was very responsive when I emailed them.

The only thing they don't include is editing of DNS records to point at
external machines.  I've got another server on the 'Net that I'd like to
have as a subdomain as my virtual host, but they don't do that with the
cheapest package.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>