[NBLUG/talk] Setting up kernel 2.6

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Thu Dec 18 17:15:01 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:55:42PM -0800, ShadowEyez wrote:
> Running RH 8 on 2.4.18-14, with gcc 3.2
>
> I just got the new 2.6 kernel, untarred it in /usr/src/linux-2.6.0/ and
> started X. I opened the terminal window, and when I ran 'make xconfig' I
> got an error message saying that I don't have the QT package installed. I
> did some reading and got the QT package at trolltech.com, the makers of
> QT, the GUI install program. I'm installing this from source right now (I

<snip>

*shrug*  why not just use the RH 8 QT rpms?

<snip>

> Makefile for 2.4.21. Guess they decided to dump QT's xconfig support.

a lot has changed about the build environment for 2.6.  the previous 'make
xconfig' was built on tcl/tk, actually.

> 2.6 seems a different beast than 2.4's. There is no more 'make dep'

frankly, the best thing i can recommend to anyone wanting who wants to play
with 2.6, is to do a lot of reading *before* downloading and playing with
it.  as you said, 2.6 is indeed very different from 2.4 in many ways.  i've
included a few links below that will help those wanting to give 2.6 a spin:

  how to go from 2.4 -> 2.6.  more links inside this article than i can
  shake a stick at.  written in august, but it's still *really* good.  even
  talks about the new build system.

                     http://kerneltrap.org/noe/view/799

  for the kernel hacker in all of us, this article is heavy on kernel
  internals.  not for the faint of heart.

                     http://www.kniggit.net/wwol26.html

  for posterity, here's linus' announcement about 2.6:

       http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.2/0348.html

hope that helps,

-dustin