[NBLUG/talk] Fedora and nForce2

Daniel Kinon kinon at SONOMA.EDU
Sun Dec 28 23:05:01 PST 2003

Hey Guys,
   Good news!!! I got nforce2 to work completely with Fedora.  The fedora
core 1 install load generic modules/drivers plus the nvidia gart kernel
patch and geforce driverto what looks like the 2.4.22-1 kernel.  Doing
this allows everything on the nforce2 board (and I'm assuming the
original nforce board) to work except the ethernet driver.

   So by just installing fedora core 1, you have a machine that will boot
into x on firstboot with everything (and I'm thinking this includes any
machine with a geforce card) working.  Then you need to some how get
the source kernel driver tarball from nvidia's side... most likely
here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261

   Once you have the tarball on fedora, untar everything.  The file untars
into 4 files; main.tar, nvgart.tar, nvaudio.tar, nvnet.tar. When you
untar each file they will fall into a folder 'nvidia' with three
subfolders 'nvgart', 'nvaudio' and 'nvnet'.  cd into the nvidia folder
(most likely in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES ) and type 'make all', then
'make install'.  Minus any errors, that will load all necessary drivers
into there proper place.  If you restart all will work.

I hope this helps all of you nForce owners who have had troubles.
For anyone wonders about redhat 9, I'm still working on compiling the
kernel.  Just to let you know I'm not abandoning that project just cause
this works in fedora.

Enjoy,
-Dan

FYI....