Quick NBLUG update

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Tue Feb 11 09:27:47 PST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:32:15PM -0800, ME wrote:
> Though I would like to see netcat people at installfests, we should be
> careful with actually running such software at SSU:

First, as I said, it's currently just a possibility.  I talked briefly with
one of the nocat people about it and it sounded like it met 3 criteria that
made it possible: (1) Helping out the local community, (2) Linux and (3)
very little extra work for us.

> Installs of NoCat are perfectly fine, just so long as they are not *run*
> to interfere with the students in the rest of the bulding who may use
> wireless cards.

I believe the idea was to get the hardware set up (many of these would be
slightly unusual hardware) and the OS installed and probably actually head
out to the location in question to do the final set up.

> Even before I changed sides, I knew "they had ways" to check on things
> like this. We should make sure our group keeps a good relationship with
> the uni, so that installfests and the movie showing in March can continue.
> We have done a great job of not causing problems and have been welcomed
> back several times. We are doing a great job in this respect.

I definitely do want to keep a good relationship with SSU and don't want to
mess up their wireless network.

> Really, this is just as simple as "not making more work for others."
> Running a wireless access point with DHCP is something that could create
> complaint and/or work.

I think with the appropriate precautions this is probably mostly a
non-issue; it might provide a small amount of inconvenience for the nocat
folks, though...
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life