IP aliases, effect on security?

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Wed Feb 12 12:11:29 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, E Frank Ball wrote:
[snip]
> Yes.  I haven't had any complaints about it not working with old
> browsers.  It works fine with Netscape 3.02, and I'm not going to check
> version 2 or mosaic.  I hear name based virtual hosting won't work for
> certain things - https/ssl maybe?  It wasn't something I used so I
> didn't worry about it.
[snip]

You can only do SSL for one domain per IP address.  Since SSL is
negotiated before HTTP starts, the server needs to send a certificate to
the client before it gets the HTTP/1.1 Host: header.

 http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC47

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
  mediocre minds.
                  -- Albert Einstein

  They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.
  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                  -- Carl Sagan