Gnome 2.2

greenfly at greenfly.net greenfly at greenfly.net
Wed Feb 12 15:32:26 PST 2003

If you have a reasonably new version of wget (it looks like 1.8.2 is the version
you need), you can limit its download rate.   The argument is --limit-rate and
I'll go ahead and post the relevant part of the wget manpage here:

=====snip=====
--limit-rate=amount
 	Limit the download speed to amount bytes per second. Amount may be
	expressed in bytes, kilobytes with the k suffix, or megabytes with the
	m suffix. For example, --limit-rate=20k will limit the retrieval rate
	to 20KB/s. This kind of thing is useful when, for whatever reason, you
	don't want Wget to consume the entire evailable bandwidth.

	Note that Wget implementeds the limiting by sleeping the appropriate
	amount of time after a network read that took less time than specified
	by the rate. Eventually this strategy causes the TCP transfer to slow
	down to approximately the specified rate. However, it takes some time
	for this balance to be achieved, so don't be surprised if limiting the
	rate doesn't work with very small files. Also, the "sleeping" strategy
	will misfire when an extremely small bandwidth, say less than 1.5KB/s,
	is specified.

So, something along the lines of:
wget -r --limit-rate=4k ftp://ftp.foo.com/bar/baz/quux/gnome2.2/

would grab that directory recursively for you, downloading at 4kb/s

Hope this helps,
Kyle