dual boot

error error at sonic.net
Thu Jan 2 10:30:36 PST 2003

I noticed that no one has mentioned the lilo option for booting windows.

I personally have a crummy digital camera that only works in windows.

So I have a dual boot with a legal copy (Seriously, my laptop came with
a copy... so I hate myself less...)

I have lilo configured in a standard way, I installed debian after
windows and I installed lilo to the MBR.

There are some extra settings in lilo for bios remapping of scsi stuff
and I have never used them.

This works for me:

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=obey

image=/boot/obey
        label=obey
        read-only
        vga=791

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
#       restricted
#       alias=1

image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional
#       restricted
#       alias=2

other=/dev/hda2
  label="WinNT(hda2)"

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if you were to change that hda2 to
sda(whatever), you would be able to boot.

I think installing lilo to the mbr on the bootable ide drive with linux
would allow you to boot the windows scsi drive after lilo.

This works fine for me.

Using the windows boot loader is a terrible idea.

Windows should be isolated like the plauge it seems to be for us all :)

--
error <error at sonic.net>