Using apt-get

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 4 16:21:38 PST 2003

on Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 03:30:35PM -0800, Andrew (argonaut at softhome.net) wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:51:47 -0800
> E Frank Ball <frankb at efball.com> wrote:
>
> > I only make CD#1 myself, then everything else comes off the
> > net, but I have DSL.
>

> Personally, I'm a big fan of the various "network installation"
> hacks, like the one at
>
> http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/

Feh!

Real men boot Tom's Root Boot, load a split 2.2 base tarball into
RAMdisks, and bootstrap the installation under chroot:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/ChrootDebianInstall.html

...and the initial D/L is only about 16-17 MiB (~15MB for the base
image, 1.7 MiB for Tom's Root Boot).  Or ~11 floppies worth of transfer.

The point not being that this is The Right Way To Do It, but that There
Is More Than One Way To Do It.  A chroot install has proven useful for
me in several circumstances.  debbootstrap can also be fun.

Also leads to the commentary that not _all_ other GNU/Linux distros are
useless:  most of them make excellent platforms for installing Debian.

Peace.