Installing RH on a SCSI drive server

troy fryman at sonic.net
Fri Jan 10 18:08:54 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:54:31PM -0800, Wyvern.Restaurants at ultra.sonic.net wrote:
> I have three choices for installing RH 7:
>
> 1. On my 40Gb drive that holds XP - has a 2.2GHz processor
> 2. On a separate drive on the XP machine
> 3. On our obsolete Dell PowerEdge 2300 server which has two SCSI hard drives

Depends upon your desired use for this Linux installation.  That Dell
server may very well be plenty of hardware depending upon what you're
asking to do (file/print server etc..) In general, Linux gets far more
out of a given piece of hardware than windows.  However, if you run a
resource heavy windowing system like Gnome or KDE, then Linux gets just
as greedy for CPU, RAM and a nice video card.

Otherwise, the free tool, FIPS which is on the RH installer CD will
safely shrink FAT32 partitions.  Likewise you should be able to run the
RH installer and tell it to use /dev/hdb1 (the second drive) to install
on.  You can safely install Grub (a bootloader) to the MBR on /dev/hda
(the first physical drive) or a boot floppy and it will happily coexist
with XP.

-ta