hdparm == neat!

troy fryman at sonic.net
Mon Jan 13 23:49:55 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:31:07PM -0800, augie wrote:

> i had never heard of hdparm before, but i stumbled across this neat
> little utility tonight. check it out, and check out this article:

Not only neat, indispensable.  I've found that often (always?) Redhat
and Debian installs default to DMA=off.  In my experience, setting DMA=1
[ hdparm -d 1 ] is by far the biggest single performance boost.

Stumbling across something cool like this really makes one wonder what
other cool things are waiting to be learned...

-t