multiple [client] entries in .my.cnf?

troy fryman at sonic.net
Wed Jan 15 00:03:10 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:56:45PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> How about an alias or shell script in bash!!!  And here I thought you wanted
> to connect to multiple hosts....

That too.  Multiple users, multiple hosts.  It's a small world, after
all.

Anyway this is what I've been using.  Works well enough, I was just
curious about other solutions.

function m
{
	PROG=$1
	CNF=${HOME}/bin/my.cnf/$2
	shift 2
	$PROG --defaults-file=${CNF} $*
}

That way I can use multiple mysql tools, and I don't need to specify
passwords interactively or on the command line (where other users could
see them...)

usage would be something like:
	m mysql [alias] [database]
or
	m mysqldump [alias] [args]

etc...

Anyway, I think I've bored everyone enough with this simple little
thing.

-ta