[NBLUG/talk] New subscriber to the list!

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Jul 6 13:19:01 PDT 2003

Todd Cary said:
> [Footnote] My current system does not have the "gd" library but I was/am
> so concerned about taking the whole system down if I tried to rebuild PHP
> that I created a current Web site for my client using my system for
> everything BUT the graphics and then moving it to their NT based PHP for
> the rest - no problem adding the "gd" library in the INI file :-) ]

Looking at your old install's phpinfo() output, it looks like your old
system did not have gd included. This means you may not need it at all.

--

If you want to include gd, there may be an rpm package in one of your cds
that has a name like "gd-lib" and/or "gd-development" or "gd-dev". If you

php.ini contains configuration options on how the built binary should
operate.

The addition and removal of the "./configure" options alters what the
binary can and cannot do.

Think of it like this... when you "build" php you are building a robot.
After the robot is built, you can alter how the things operate that the
robot has, but you cannot add new arms, legs, toolboxes, etc unless you
"./configure" and build a new robot.

You can give instructions to the robot (php code), tell it how long it
should wait before timing out an oprtation (the timout variable in
php.ini),  and enable certain security options to help make it more
difficult for an evil vandal to convince your robot to do things it should
not (safe_mode" vars in php.ini), but to add support for any of the items
you see when you do:
# ./configure --help |less
from the php source directory is equivalent to adding a new arm, leg, or
memories to your robot -- in such a case, you will need to rebuild your
robot.

-ME