[NBLUG/talk] Dual monitors, two different resolutions?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Jul 6 15:27:00 PDT 2003

Rob Orsini said:
> I have Mandrake 9.1 working with dual monitors (two separate video
> cards).  They are different sizes and I would like to have different
> resolutions on each.  A thread in our archives implied that I might be out
> of luck but it was from 3 years ago. Any successful experience with this?

With XFree86 version 4, I would expect you should be able to do this.

When you specify the difference devices, you would need to specify
different "Identifier" values for each card device section.
#(Say one would be:)
Section "Device"
          Identifier        "Video Card 1"
[snipped settings you would also have to keep this message short]
End Section

#(and the other would be:)
Section "Device"
          Identifier        "Video Card 2"
[snipped settings you would also have to keep this message short]
End Section

Then you would do the same for the monitors sections.

Then you would also have 2 screen sections.

When you add it to the screen section, you would have two screen sections.
Each screen section would then reference the identifier names for the
Monitor and Video Card they would each use.

This should permit you to have different resolutions, sync rates, etc for
different cards and displays/screens.

I have not done the above though. In my case, I have a single video card
that has an extra driver and multiple output ports for video. The special
driver that I downloaded from nVidia, that works with X, permits me to add
extra (non-standard) options to my XFree86.conf file to have different
settings for different monitors with a shared desktop.\

HTH,
-ME