[NBLUG/talk] HP BIOS Flash

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Wed Jul 9 20:53:00 PDT 2003

Is the BIOS upgrade that you downloaded from HP a single .exe
file? If it is, I would guess that it's probably a
self-extracting archive which needs to be run in a DOS or Window$
environment in order to extract the files it contains.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:16:09 -0500
Jeff Hemminger <jeff at dreadidread.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Here are the instructions from the README:
> <snip>
> 1. CREATING THE BIOS INSTALLATION DISKETTE
>   a. Create a system diskette
>   b. Copy the contents of this directory onto this diskette:
>      copy *.* A:
>      (Assuming that your diskette drive is A:)

In (b) above, what does "this directory" refer to? Could it be a
directory created by the self-extracting archive?
> 2. FLASHING THE BIOS
>   a. Insert the BIOS installation diskette into the A: (B:)
>      drive
>   b. Boot the PC from the diskette to ensure a clean boot.
>   c. Launch the flashing command by typing from A: (B:) the
>      following command:
>      Flash
> </snip>
>
> It sounds like I need a DOS environment to flash the BIOS,
> doesn't it?

The DOS environment in which the BIOS flasher program (not the
self-extracting archive) runs is provided by the system files
which get put on the floppy in (1a), above. When you boot using
that floppy, the OS is loaded from it, not the hard disk, and you
end up at a DOS prompt. At that point, you type "Flash" to run
the BIOS flasher program.

A.