[NBLUG/talk] Samba running slow...

Coy Thorp C.Thorp at mdl.com
Tue Jul 15 13:11:02 PDT 2003

The intermittency of the problem suggests layer 1.

Swap out cables, reseat cards, and then see if it's running the same.  If it
is, you need to isolate the problem.  Is there a third machine on this
network that you can do file transfers to and from?  If so, use it to find
out if it's the pc or the linux box.

The earlier comment about forcing to full duplex.  Only do that if you are
connected to a switch, not a hub.  Hubs can't do full duplex because of
csma/cd.  If you are connected to a hub, then the optimal setting for duplex
is half.  However, because of the intermittency, I really do think it's a
hardware problem.