[NBLUG/talk] Backups?

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Thu Jul 24 15:02:00 PDT 2003

Hello all,

Last week I lost my hard drive to a tragic case of a bad power source, and
realized that the last time I had really backed anything up was 3 months
ago.

Now that I have a semi-working system back up again, I'm trying to write a
script to do my backing up, including files, system info (/proc stuff),
and other daemon info (mysql, ldap, etc).

My backup media will be CD-R for permanent storage, and CD-RW for
temporary storage.  In other words, I'd start out with a CD-RW and a full
backup, then do daily (or weekly) incremental backups, copying the CD-RW
contents, then burning the old CD-RW and new incremental backup back to
the CD-RW.  When the CD-RW fills up, I'd burn it to a CD-R.  Lather,
rinse, repeat.

At this rate, I'd use up a CD-R for each full backup (depending on size)
and one or two CD-RW total.

I think I am making the assumption that each of my full backups will be
less than 650/700 MB, which could result in backing up music or program
downloads using some other process.

My question to the list is do you backup your home machines?  If not, what
would you do if you lose it (no, seriously)?  Do you backup to some
machine somewhere else?  Do you rely on other Kazaa users to backup your
machine (just kidding)?

Jeremy

Jeremy Turner - jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
The LinuxWebGuy