[NBLUG/talk] Backups?

Warren Raquel wraquel at jacobmarlie.com
Thu Jul 24 16:16:01 PDT 2003

No problem. First off you would tell partimage to create a backup. let's
say your backup ends up being 2G in size and you were hoping to save
your backup on CD. Well, you would tell partimage to create file blocks
the size of a CD. (i.e. 716800 kBytes). In this case as partimage
creates your backup it would create file blocks up to around 716800kB.
In the case of a 2G backup it would create 3 files, 2 around 700M and
another around 560M. You could then burn these 3 files to a CD-R.

As for saving it on a Knoppix CD, obviously you can't. You would have to
either 1:have extra space on your computer to save the files for burning
onto CD later or 2:run a partimaged server on another computer to
receive the backup stream.

Spanning backup just means that the backup of your system would span
across a couple of files (like in the method above).

As for partimage you can find more info here: http://www.partimage.org/.
Partimage does do compression, either gz or bzip2 compression. I suggest
NBLUG review it for a meeting. It's a pretty handy program.