[NBLUG/talk] my laptop & wireless ethernet

Micxz (lovedialup.com) an_email at micxz.com
Fri Jun 6 23:00:03 PDT 2003

> The standard location (even for most distros) to locate kernel src is
> /usr/src/*****
> Sometimes /usr/src/linux
> Sometimes /usr/src/linux-2.x.y....
> Cd to that dir and see what is there
> If you have nothing that is "linux" or has linux in the name, then you
> have not installed the linux source package.
>
> Please do not be insulted with this next statement, as it is not intended:
> (Even if you know this, others on this list may not...)
>
> Just because you have a linux kernel and are running linux does not mean
> you have installed the linux src. The linux src is the code required to
> compile the linux kernel. Even if you have the "linux kernel header files"
> that may not be sufficient for the program you are trying to build.

LOOK:

micxz at mars:~> cd /usr/src/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          168 Oct 25  2002 packages
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/
BUILD  RPMS  SOURCES  SPECS  SRPMS
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/SOURCES/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/SRPMS/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/RPMS/
athlon  i386  i486  i586  i686  noarch
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/BUILD/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/RPMS/i686/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/RPMS/i386/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/RPMS/i486/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/RPMS/i586/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/RPMS/noarch/
micxz at mars:/usr/src> ls packages/RPMS/athlon/
micxz at mars:/usr/src>

MY KERNEL SOURCE IS MISSING OH MY GOD!!!! (lol just kidding)

I must not have installed the src files! I've never played with the
kernel before that's why I'm coming to the meeting on tues. No insult
taken what-so-ever! I will install them now. Thanks'

Micxz