[NBLUG/talk] my laptop & wireless ethernet

bm bm at sonic.net
Sun Jun 8 12:31:01 PDT 2003

> So, I feel like I'm pushing it a little but as well as a successful install
> of Mandrake on my laptop (which we've already discussed) I would LOVE for
> my 802.11b-PCMCIA card to work.  I have a Netgear card but have heard
> rumors that a Lucent flavored card has some support among some Linux vers.
>
> My first question: Has anyone had luck with wireless PCMCIA cards and
> linux?  Secondly, what is so complicated about writing drivers for these
> cards? I really am curious if it's really a difficult thing to do or just
> low priority.

I just installed a wireless lan card (Orinoco 802.11b) in an HP Omnibook
3000 that had been using a wired lan card.  The OS is Red Hat 8.0.
The Wireless card was recognized and worked without doing anything.
The machine was configured to be a dhcp client on the wired eth0
card.

There was one warning that the alias for eth0 in /etc/modules.conf was
not correct, so it used the correct module instead.  I added the alias
for that module to /etc/modules.conf, even though it worked without it.

I plan to go back and review what Wireless packages were installed and
what can be gained by adding wireless utilities and configuring for
wireless.

Have you tried your Net Gear card?  Have you checked the hardware
compatibility lists?

Let us know how it goes.

--Bill