[NBLUG/talk] arghh! I HATE it when that happens..

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Tue Jun 10 14:17:01 PDT 2003

yum

1.  Does not need special servers with generated databases.
2.  Resolves all dependencies.... even i686 packages. ; )
3.  Updates kernel packages without a hitch. ; )
4.  Is totally separate from rpm or package management tools.
5.  Written in python, which is the same language the Red Hat installer
anaconda is written in.  In fact yum uses some of the anaconda code.
6.  SystemV runlevel scripts to run a yum cron job for automatic system
updates.

Nice piece of work if you ask me......  apt is kewl but yum is yummy.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer