[NBLUG/talk] Help: Newbie and proxy server running SBS2000

Ross Thomas spamb8r at netscape.net
Wed Jun 11 20:07:00 PDT 2003

Jennifer Tracy wrote:

> My server is SBS 2000 with MS Proxy Server 2.0.

Ack!  That explains it.  Proxy Server *does not* play well with
non-Windoze machines.  I had this exact same problem trying to
run Solaris boxen behind Proxy Server.  I've had to move several
clients off it so they could run mixed environments.  The big
problem is that Proxy Server isn't really a proxy server.  It is a
malicious client/server app.  To use the proxy Server you need to
install the Proxy Client (you'll see it in 'Add/Remove Programs')
which is essentially a TCP stack redirector.  You actually configure
the Proxy Client, not IE for the 'proxying'.  This is why Netscape
will work on a Windoze box with the client, but not on a *nix box
behind the same Proxy Server.

Now, it's been a while since I did all this, but it was the same
version of Proxy Server.  So unless they have released a patch to
allow other OS's to play (highly unlikely) you'll have problems
doing this.  I saw someone say they had done it, but I could never
repeat their success no matter how carefully I followed the supplied
instructions.  Noone else I saw that had the problem was able to
solve it either.  I suspect the original person was delusional.  :-)

HTH.

Ross.

P.S.  I wish you every success, but I don't hold out much hope.