[NBLUG/talk] Help: SAMBA

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed Jun 11 21:34:00 PDT 2003

I dont' see any responses to this one, and it wil take me a while to go
through all of the posts in the other thread...

So here goes.

You have provided us with a lot of information, and this is very good.

If you see nothing getting logged, but the daemon is running, and the
datestamp on the logfile is the same date/time as the start time of the
samba services, then I would try testing on the local machine.

# netstat -an
See if andy of the samba ports (137,138,139) are listening on the samba
server.

Next, try to telnet to 139 from the server:
# telnet localhost 139

If you see :
# telnet localhost 139
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

Then you can press control-] (control close bracket) and then see:
telnet>
where you can type quit:
telnet> quit
to get back to your prompt

If the above works, then go to the windows box and try to telnet to the
linux box at the same port:
c:> telnet ip.addres.of.linuxbox 139
 see what you get

If connection is refused or unavailable while the above worked, then this
suggests a firewall/filter issue. A new kernel may use iptables instead of
ipchains. If such is the case, then you may have different rules in one vs
the other loaded at boot. (One more strict than another)

# iptables
or
# ipchains

One should tell you it was not configured for your kernel.

Which ever one does not give that error:

(assuming iptables)

# iptables -L -n

You'll want to look for deny rules- anything that is a global block or
blocks port 137, 138 and 139.

Now, to answer your questions:

Micxz (lovedialup.com) said:
> Hello all' I've just upgraded my OS to SuSE 8.2 from 8.0. Everything
> went great and I've got the latest kernel. But samba does not seem to
> work anymore, I mean it's running.

Could be filtering rules that were enabled. (see top)

> How do you debug samba if it's not logging anything? I'm tailing
> messages, log.smbd and log.nmbd. But nothing is logged except:

It looks like you have samba daemins starting in daemonized mode. Find the
startup script for your smbd and add the -d flag with a number for level.
A value from 1 to 5 should be good. A value of 100 would likely be too
much.

> [2003/06/11 14:54:19, 0] smbd/server.c:main(707)
>   smbd version 2.2.7a-SuSE started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2002
>
> I see it running:
>
> mars:/var/log/samba # ps wwwaux | grep samba
> root     12208  0.0  0.7  5372 1904 ?        S    14:54   0:00
> /usr/lib/samba/classic/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf

There are usually two parts to samba:
"smbd" and "nmbd"
nmbd is for advertising and announcements for machines and deals with
control as master domain browser.
smbd does the share stuff and file stuff.

Make sure both are running
# ps -auxw | grep mbd

nmbd is not required for samba to "work" as you can connect to smbd with
explicit statements. Use of nmbd permits you to use the network
neighborhood if on the same lan or sharing properly configured WINS.

> My config which I did not chanage since the upgrade:

Since it has not changed, I won't look at this so mcuh on this pass.