[NBLUG/talk] Authentication against Active Directory

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Wed Jun 18 20:04:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Warren Raquel wrote:
> I have a few questions concerning RedHat and authentication. Now, first,
> is it possible to authenticate a login against a mixed-mode Active
> Directory, or even a native-mode AD? If so, I suppose I would also have
> to create an account on the local linux machine to correspond to their
> username, right? How would I go about doing this (not the creating the
> account but getting authentication set up). I've googled but the mass of
> information is mind-boggling, can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Also, I want to create a mail server that does virtual mail accounts
> corresponding to specified AD accounts. The accounts just need IMAP or
> POP access (either will do). Anyone have any tips on this? TIA.

These may be possible, but when integrating with Microsoft products it is
important to remember that Microsoft does not want you to use
non-Microsoft products.  Even if you do manage to get it working, they may
deliberately break whatever feature you require in order to prevent you
from continuing to use non-Microsoft products.

For a good description of this strategy, explained by Microsoft employees
themselves, I highly recommend reading the "Halloween Documents" at
http://www.opensource.org/halloween/ , especially Halloween I.  These are
strategic memos which were leaked from inside Microsoft.

These are not "religious arguments" or "conspiricy theories".  They are
Microsoft's real business plan, and they are valid, important business
reasons to avoid using Microsoft products.

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment: