[NBLUG/talk] emacs config problem

Rob Orsini orsini at sonic.net
Wed Jun 18 20:32:01 PDT 2003

At 06:11 PM 6/13/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Rob Orsini wrote:
>[snip]
> > ;; THIS IS THE PROBLEM LINE
> > (define-key indented-text-mode-map "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)
>[snip]
> > An error has occurred while loading `/home/admin/.emacs':
> >
> > Symbol's value as variable is void: indented-text-mode-map
>[snip]
>
>The book was probably written for emacs 19 and you are probably using
>emacs 20.  In emacs 20 indented-text-mode is just an alias for text-mode.
>There is no indented-text-mode, and no indented-text-mode-map.  Try:
>
>   (define-key text-mode-map "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)

So I'm not quite where I want to be with my emacs configuration.  Like much
of my Linux knowledge, my understanding of emacs configuration has big
holes in it.

Let me state my overall purpose: One of my ultimate goals is to find
equivalent tools from my Windows past and to be able to work as fast or
faster in a Linux environment.  Since I spend most of my day in UltraEdit,
I need Emacs to do some of the basic things I'm not willing to live
without.  The configurations I was toying with (above) only applies to one
mode a a time.  I would like a 'global' behavior that indents two spaces in
the place of tabs, and the enter key will drop the indent level of the
previous line, without having to write lisp for every file type I may come
across.

The other thing I'm hunting for, in an effort to keep my tendons in good
shape, is to replace my pesky 'Caps Lock' key with the 'Control' key.  In
windows I did this: http://www.orsinidesigns.com/ctl2caps/ and in Mandrake
there was an accessibility option in the control center but it never seemed
to carry over to the next session. I'm running the Debian w/KDE 2.2.

Cheers,
Rob