[NBLUG/talk] Can't get online w/new RH8 Install

greenfly at greenfly.net greenfly at greenfly.net
Thu Mar 13 13:05:02 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:16:53PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Hey:
> Thanks for the further input, everybody.  I think I have narrowed
> this down to a DNS problem.  Pinging as Kyle suggested works until
> #3, sonic.net.  On a whim, I decided to plug in the numeric
> address of  a website I manage, and wouldn't you know it, mozilla
> brought it up, no problem.
> In the mean time, I am going to double check the DNS addresses on
> my ISP's site and plug them in one more time.

Have you gotten any further with this?  This is definitely a DNS problem of some
sort, the question is just where the problem is.

1) At the meeting we talked about possibly trying to connect, and /then/
   after it overwrites the DNS entries you use, for you to type in your own DNS
   entries.  Did this work?

2) Also, did you compare the DNS servers that you were getting when you
   connected in windows (something you can check by clicking Start->Run and
   typing in "winipcfg" and then selecting your modem).  What did that turn up?

3) Alternatively, once you are connected and can at least ping out to some IP
   addresses, here are some things you can try to test your DNS server. (This
   assumes you have host installed, which you should AFAIK)  Try the following:

   host sonic.net <your dns IP>

   Do that for each DNS ip you wish to test, and see if any of them return a
   result.  Any that return results should be working, valid DNS servers for
   you to use.

This is definitely a solvable DNS problem, it's just a matter of tracking down
where exactly the DNS error is occurring.

Kyle