[NBLUG/talk] Printer question

troy fryman at sonic.net
Thu May 1 14:25:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:17:22PM -0700, Cal Herrmann wrote:
> Every once in a while, I jam my printer or something, may turn it off for
> a bit to restart, and it then prints only garbage.
> This is from a Mandrake installation, uses CUPS, the printer is an Epson
> 777.
> What should I do to avoid a complete reboot (works)?
> Thanks, Cal

Have you tried stopping the cups service and restarting it?
Not sure of the Mandrake specifics, but something like:
# service cups restart

or /etc/init.d cups restart

If you have the cups admin thing listening, try connecting to
localhost:631, from there you can flush the queue.

If all else fails unplug the usb cable, wait 5 seconds and reinsert it.

I hate it when I have to reboot a Linux machine -- it means I don't know
what I'm doing.  Uhhm, that's not an insult to you, just a random comment.

-troy