[NBLUG/talk] making DSL run faster

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu May 1 15:58:01 PDT 2003

This was linked on Slashdot today:
http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html
(does not render on Netscape 4.XX, mozilla works fine)

"Problem:
I'm using an asymmetric DSL with 512 kbps downstream and 128 kbps
upstream capacity (minus PPPoE overhead).  When I download, I get
transfer rates of about 50 kB/s.  But as soon as I start a concurrent
upload, the download rate drops significantly, to about 7 kB/s." ...

The graphs for the peformance improvement are amazing, take a look.  Too
bad it's for BSD, not linux, but In the slashdot discussion there was
this link for linux:

http://lartc.org/lartc.html#LARTC.COOKBOOK.ULTIMATE-TC

"If we do all this we get the following measurements using an excellent
ADSL connection from xs4all in the Netherlands:

Baseline latency:
round-trip min/avg/max = 14.4/17.1/21.7 ms

Without traffic conditioner, while downloading:
round-trip min/avg/max = 560.9/573.6/586.4 ms

Without traffic conditioner, while uploading:
round-trip min/avg/max = 2041.4/2332.1/2427.6 ms

With conditioner, during 220kbit/s upload:
round-trip min/avg/max = 15.7/51.8/79.9 ms

With conditioner, during 850kbit/s download:
round-trip min/avg/max = 20.4/46.9/74.0 ms

When uploading, downloads proceed at ~80% of the available speed. Uploads
at around 90%. Latency then jumps to 850 ms, still figuring out why."

I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not even sure how to, but I really want
to, but this code is way over my head.  Any comments from the guru's?

Can I just edit the speeds in the CBQ script, run it, and magic will
happen?  I'm using Debian woody with Kernel 2.2.something (ipchains).

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com